- 1 large watermelon
- large spoon
- pen / marker
- power drill with a 3/4 inch drill bit
- beer shank kit
1. Look at the watermelon and determine which side is the best to place the faucet. If your watermelon is a bit unsteady when standing it up, cut off just a small portion of the bottom to help it stay balanced. With the knife, cut a circle on the top to form a "lid" with the same method as if you were going to carve a pumpkin for Halloween. Remove the "lid" from the watermelon and set aside as you will use this later.
2. With the large spoon begin to scoop out all of the watermelon and its juice and place it all into the large bowl. (Be careful to only scoop out the fruit and not the rind.)
3. With the pen, mark the area you want to drill the hole for the faucet. With the power drill very gently and slowly start to drill the hole into the base of the melon.
4. Carefully insert the long neck of the shank into the melon. Do not try to jam the shank into the melon as this can lead to breaking or cracking. If you need to widen the hole slightly, use the tip of a sharp knife. The shank needs to fit very snuggly in order to not leak.
5. Once the shank is in place, slide the O-ring on along with the adapter. Make sure that everything is tight and check for any leaks. Once you confirm that it is in working condition, add the beverage to the melon. Top with the "lid" and serve your drink!
Preparation of watermelon punch:
- 1 whole watermelon, pureed
- 3 cups coconut rum
- 1/2 cup watermelon schnapps, or any flavor
- 1-1/2 cups pineapple juice
- 1-1/2 cups peach, guava or strawberry nectar
- 12 cups crushed Ice
- Lime wedges for garnish
- In a large bowl add the watermelon puree, the liquors, pineapple juice and the fruit nectar, mixing very well.
- Add the mixture to the watermelon "keg," adding the ice and then the "lid" of the melon.
- Add a lime wedge to each glass and serve the drink icy cold.